Friday, May 29, 2009

ON LOOKING TOWARDS THE EAST


South Korea morns. South Korea cries. South Korea fears. South Korea waits to see what tomorrow brings.

North Korea tests nuclear weapons , firing six short-range missiles this week, and publicly tears up the truce which ended the Korean War and made a peaceful coexistence between Pyongyang and Seoul possible since 1953, stating, "We will no longer be bound by the armistice accord." "...the Korean peninsula will go back to a state of war..." "We will deal a merciless retaliatory blow at any attempt to stop, check, and inspect our vessels, regarding it a violation of our inviolable sovereignty."

Washington plays off the events of the East as "saber-rattling and bluster and threats." While stating, "We're certainly concerned and take any threat seriously..." and then the "BUT"

My children stand in the dead center of all this commotion.

My daughter lives and works in Icheon, Korea a short commute from Seoul, and my son is aboard the USS Boxer in waters between Singapore and Japan.

It's funny how life reminds you of the other side of things. Love may be a universal language, but so are hate and fear.

A leader, a good and strong leader, removed from his position for acts he may or may not have committed hates where his life has lead him and fears the future so much he steps from a mountain top, leaving his country to morn and ask questions they will find no answers to.

A country hates so much they risk not only the well-being of their perceived enemies, but their own as well, willing to declare war to protect their selves. But from what?

Or could it be more a love of power which motivates these leaders?

I wish I were wiser, but then again, no, for it seems to me wisdom comes with it's own price. Perhaps what I really wish for, sometimes, is a more clouded view.

I tried to express my concerns to my mother this morning over coffee, and though she is a very intelligent woman, one of the smartest people I know, she wanted to sweep these issues under the, "God will take care of your children, you just have to trust him." carpet.

When I reminded her that I trusted God to not allow my family to fall apart and it still did she said, "God had nothing to do with that, Pamela."

To which I said back, "He's either God or he isn't, Mom. He had something to do with that or he has nothing to do with my kids and Korea."

I was told to stop being difficult.

If by difficult she meant honest, well, okay, I can do that outwardly, but inside, I am scared. I am worried. I am angry.

The truth is this, God is in control and he still allows bad things to happen to good people and though he will be there to see us through whatever comes our way, God is not an insurance policy against hurt, loss, or pain.

And so I stand, looking towards the East, waiting to see what emerges.

The You Tube link is taken from a wonderful documentary from a forward-thinking Mark Johnson. Play for Change: Peace through Music.



















2 comments:

  1. Ive been wanting to thank you for this post and the utube vid. I've been very busy here at camp. And have only had time to read. I've tried to write a comment or two, but what you write about and the proximity of your children to it keep me from writing a quick thought. Just know I've had you and your kids in my mind and heart since first reading this a few days ago. Hoping that your heart is calm and your hope and trust is strong.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. all is calm here, Jeff. 'tis my way to hold something in for a bit, then fuss and fret, then express my thoughts and concerns, then work my way to peace. Today finds me on the peace side of things.

    Thank you my fellow voyager.

    Hope today is a peace-felt Sunday for you too.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete